|By PR Newswire||
|November 16, 2012 11:14 AM EST||
NORWALK, Conn., Nov. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- UBM Medica US announces that Cancer Network and the journal ONCOLOGY are presenting a two part primer report on targeted therapies in solid tumors. Targeted therapy has become both the centerpiece of the current era in cancer therapeutics and the foundation of the field's hope for future progress. Although the initial successes of targeted therapies occurred in hematologic malignancies, recent years have seen a string of promising results in a number of solid tumors.
In this two-part series in the UBM Medical journal ONCOLOGY, Dr. Franco Muggia and colleagues explore the progress that has been made in this area. Far more than just a compendium of trial results, these two articles address such fundamental questions as:
- How "targeted" are the so-called "targeted drugs"?
- In what way do targeted therapies constitute a meaningful improvement over chemotherapy?
- How can emerging targeted agents be integrated with older therapies (both endocrine therapies and chemotherapies)?
- What are the prospects for "targeted" immunotherapies?
In Part I, the authors discuss these and other questions with regard to targeted therapies for renal cell carcinoma, hepatocellular carcinoma, malignant melanoma, and gastrointestinal stromal tumors (and other sarcomas). In Part II, they focus on developments in breast cancer, lung cancer, malignant colorectal cancer, and certain gynecological cancers.
Also of high interest are the commentaries by renowned experts that accompany both papers. Commentary authors for Part I include Dr. Richard Schilsky of the University of Chicago, who was recently named Chief Medical Officer of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and Dr. John Marshall of Georgetown, a global leader in the development of new drugs for colon cancer and other GI cancers.
Commenting on Part II are Dr. Craig Henderson, who has received numerous awards for his work in the field of breast cancer research, and Dr. John Hamm, medical director of the research program at the Norton Cancer Center.
About UBM Medica US
Addressing today's healthcare information needs, UBM Medica US, delivers strategic, integrated communications solutions and comprehensive reach—online, in print, and via custom programs. Improving the effectiveness of healthcare through information and education, UBM Medica US provides unbiased clinical, practical, and business information for physicians, providers, payers, and patients around the world. Through journals, magazines, websites, online communities, drug databases, digital events, and other valuable resources, UBM Medica US also delivers comprehensive communication solutions for the pharmaceutical and related industries. Websites include CancerNetwork.com, ConsultantLive.com, DiagnosticImaging.com, MusculoskeletalNetwork.com, OBGYN.net, PhysiciansPractice.com, PsychiatricTimes.com and SearchMedica.com. UBM Medica US is part of UBM Connect – which provides marketing services across a number of communities, the largest of which are healthcare, medical device design and advanced manufacturing. UBM Connect also includes UBM Studios, the global leader in interactive digital environments. UBM Connect is a UBM plc company. For more information, visit http://www.UBMMedicaUS.com
Jason J. Golden
Content Marketing Manager
SOURCE UBM Medica
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher