|By PR Newswire||
|November 15, 2012 08:01 PM EST||
IRVINE, Calif., Nov. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Orange County Great Park today announced the top winners of the third annual Scarecrows in the Park fundraising competition, which challenges local businesses and community organizations to build creative, themed scarecrows that are displayed for public voting at the Great Park's Farm + Food Lab and on the Great Park's website. The 2012 edition of the competition was the most successful ever, raising $13,000 to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank and the Great Park Farm + Food Lab children's educational programs. The funds will provide meals for nearly 20,000 people and support Great Park educational programming that is expected to reach 6,000 children.
"We congratulate the winners and all the Orange County companies and community organizations that took part in this year's Scarecrows in the Park fundraising event," said Beth Krom, Chair, Orange County Great Park Corporation. "Each $500 entry fee paid by participants helped Second Harvest Food Bank provide meals for hungry families and support the ongoing monthly children's workshop series and educational exhibits at the Great Park Farm + Food Lab."
Scarecrows in the Park Winners
More than 40 community organizations and businesses participated in the contest, which featured 26 scarecrows vying for the title of "Best-in-Crow." More than 1,600 votes were cast at the Farm + Food Lab and more than 1,000 votes cast on the Great Park website during the two-week voting period that kicked off at the Great Park's annual Pumpkin Harvest event on October 20.
Best-in-Crow Award (most on-site votes):
• Scarecrow name: "OCP Avengers"
• Builder: Orange County Produce
• Sponsor: Orange County Produce
Digi-Crow Award (most online votes):
• Scarecrow name: "Firefighter Don"
• Sponsor: Forde and Mollrich
Critic's Choice Award (chosen by a committee of judges from the Great Park Arts, Culture and Heritage team):
• Scarecrow name: "Kids Choice 2012...if we could vote"
• Builder: Alderwood Elementary School third grade class
• Sponsor: Foundation for the Great Park
Award winners and participants were publicly recognized in a special ceremony at the Great Park Board meeting earlier today. All participants received a certificate of appreciation and picture of their scarecrow.
The Orange County Great Park is located at Sand Canyon and Marine Way, and can easily be reached by the 5 or 405 freeways.
For more information, visit, please visit www.ocgp.org or call 866-829-3829.
About Second Harvest Food Bank
Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County is working to eliminate hunger in Orange County. Through a network of more than 470 local member non-profits, the Food Bank distributes more than 18 million pounds of nutritious food to our neighbors in need. Learn more about Second Harvest Food Bank's work in the community – and how you can help – at http://FeedOC.org
About the Great Park
Hundreds of thousands of visitors from all over Southern California enjoy the Orange County Great Park's array of recreational and educational opportunities and participate in shared experiences, including panoramic views from the iconic Great Park Balloon that rises 400 feet in the air. Other Great Park features include the Carousel, Farm + Food Lab, Kids Rock Playground, Walkable Historical Timeline, Palm Court Arts Complex, North Lawn recreation area and historic Hangar 244. In addition to free sports clinics, gardening workshops, weekly Farmers Market and other community events, the Great Park hosts an annual series of special events that provide unique experiences for the entire family, including the Growing the Park: Anniversary Celebration, Great Park Pumpkin Harvest, Great Night! Family New Year's Eve, and the Flights & Sounds Summer Festival. With its approximate 1,300-acre master plan, the Great Park is the centerpiece of the redevelopment of the publicly-owned portion of the 4,700-acre former Marine Corps Air Station El Toro. For more information, please visit www.ocgp.org.
SOURCE The Orange County Great Park
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London