|By Marketwired .||
|November 14, 2012 02:10 PM EST||
CHICAGO, IL -- (Marketwire) -- 11/14/12 -- This week, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel joined Steve Cahillane, President and CEO of Coca-Cola Refreshments, at Fosco Park to announce a $3 million grant from The Coca-Cola Foundation to the Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance. This grant will create the Park Families Wellness Initiative that provides wellness services to Chicago communities and allow the Chicago Park District to hire U.S. veterans as part of the "Troops for Fitness" program.
Watch the video to view highlights from the announcement and to see the first "Troops for Fitness" class in session.
The Park Families Wellness Initiative will be run by the Chicago Park District and will feature affordable nutrition education and active lifestyle programs for Chicago communities most in need of wellness services. The Park District will also tap returning service veterans to teach military-style fitness classes through the "Troops for Fitness" program. Over the next four years, military vets will teach sessions on calisthenics, sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups and other fitness and nutritional techniques that will reach a total of 125,000 Chicagoans.
The Coca-Cola Foundation is committed to building sustainable communities by encouraging individuals, families and communities to live active, healthy lifestyles. Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance, working with the Chicago Park District, is among many grantees from around the country that are amplifying their active living and nutrition education programs as a result of local grants from The Coca-Cola Foundation.
For more on the Park Families Wellness Initiative and "Troops for Fitness," visit www.coca-colacompany.com.
Embedded Video Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2154178
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher