|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 02:07 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In cooperation with Feeding Illinois, the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) today announced it is launching a food and fundraising drive among Illinois law firms and legal organizations to help the estimated 1.9 million Illinoisans who lack the ability to obtain adequate food.
The Lawyers Feeding Illinois campaign was created by ISBA President John E. Thies of Urbana and is chaired by his wife, Terry Thies. "Our goal is to provide a million meals through donations of food and money," said John Thies.
Among speakers at the kickoff was Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, who spoke about the tremendous need and credited lawyers for offering to help. "As lawyers, we have the opportunity to use our abilities to help others. While many people think our work is exclusively done in the courtroom, today we're here to focus on a more basic need – helping people in the kitchen. Lawyers Feeding Illinois gives all of us involved in the practice of law an opportunity to put our time and talents to good use beyond the courtroom."
Campaign chair Terry Thies said the food and fundraising drive will take place February 18 through March 1, 2013. Lawyers and lawyer teams can now sign up to participate at www.lawyersfeedingil.org.
"These are difficult times financially for many Illinois families," John Thies said. "No one should go hungry because they lack the resources they need to put food on the table. We believe our efforts will help call attention to the ongoing problem of hunger as well as collect food and financial donations that directly help families and individuals in need." The problem is especially acute for children, according to John and Terry Thies, who note that more than 600,000, or one in four children in Illinois experience food insecurity.
The 33,000-member ISBA (isba.org), with offices in Springfield and Chicago, provides professional services to Illinois lawyers, and education and services to the public through a website (illinoislawyerfinder.com), a cable television program ("Illinois Law"), consumer brochures, and distribution of legal information.
SOURCE Illinois State Bar Association
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?