|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 14: ROBERT FULTON
Profile America — Wednesday, November 14th. Today marks the birth in 1765 of one of the nation's major inventors — Robert Fulton — who built the first steamboat in the U.S., which in 1807 went 150 miles from Albany to New York City, ushering in a new motive power to young America. The impact of the trip was not immediately clear, and some critics even called the effort "Fulton's Folly." But steamboats became the dominant form of power for America's merchant marine. Now, steam and diesel powered ships generate receipts of just under $35 billion annually, moving cargo and passengers on deep-sea, coastal, and Great Lakes waterways, as well as those on inland waters. You can find more facts about America from the U.S. Census Bureau, online at www.census.gov.
Sources: Chase's Calendar of Events 2012, p. 407, 546
2007 Economic Census, NAICS 483
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks