|By PR Newswire||
|November 13, 2012 05:40 PM EST||
COLUMBUS, Ohio, Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The United Coalition of Ohio Auto Recyclers (UCOAR) announced its unified opposition to Senate Bill 273, which is being considered by the House Insurance Committee this week. At the heart of the opposition is a concern over Ohio jobs, which are unnecessarily being put at risk by the bill. SB 273 would weaken the standards regarding who can buy salvage automobiles at auction.
"We find that this legislation will not improve public policy but instead will damage the Ohio economy and put public safety at greater risk," said George R. Sapir, a spokesperson for UCOAR. "Currently, Ohio enjoys sensible rules that require qualified, licensed buyers for salvage auctions. Opening these auctions to all sorts of buyers will increase risk to our streets, harm our environment, and make car theft easier. It is not a bill Ohio should pass into law."
Senate Bill 273 would also allow unlicensed individuals from out of state to bid on salvage automobiles at auction. Because the unlicensed bidders will inflate prices, recyclers in Ohio will be hurt by the new law, which will lead to a loss of jobs. Conservative estimates show that up to 20 percent of the jobs in the Ohio automobile recycling industry would be lost.
"We encourage all the members of the Ohio General Assembly and the general public to become educated on this important issue," said Sapir. "Our website contains a complete list of myths and facts about this legislation at http://ucoar.org/sb-273/myths-and-facts/. A full review of the impacts of the legislation shows that it is bad for Ohio and bad for jobs."
Senate Bill 273 will be heard by the Ohio House Insurance Committee on Wednesday, November 14.
Contact: George R Sapir
SOURCE United Coalition of Ohio Auto Recyclers
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks