|By PR Newswire||
|November 13, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 13: HOLLAND TUNNEL AT 85
Profile America — Tuesday, November 13th. The first underwater tunnel built in the U.S. — New York City's Holland Tunnel, running beneath the Hudson River between New York and New Jersey — opened for traffic 85 years ago today. Despite its age, the tunnel remains a key traffic artery serving the New York City area, carrying more than 33 million cars and trucks every year. It is named for Clifford Holland, the project's first chief engineer, who died of a heart attack at the age of 41, the day before the two halves of the tunnel were due to be joined. Heavy construction, such as bridges and tunnels, is a $17.8 billion a year industry in the U.S. You can find current data on the country's economy — on the go — by downloading the new "America's Economy" mobile application at www.census.gov/mobile.
Sources: Chase's Calendar of Events 2012, p. 546
2007 Economic Census, NAICS 237990
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher