|By PR Newswire||
|November 12, 2012 10:18 PM EST||
SEATTLE, Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- On November 9, 2012, United States District Court Judge John C. Coughenour certified a nationwide class action case against Papa John's International, Inc. (NASDAQ: PZZA) with potential damages over $250 million. The lawsuit is brought on behalf of Papa John's customers across the United States who were sent unwanted text messages that advertised Papa John's pizza.
The ruling paves the way for what could be one of the largest damages awards ever recovered under the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act. The class action lawsuit contends that 500,000 illegal text messages were sent to Papa John's customers across the country. Papa John's customers could be awarded $500 or more in statutory damages for each text message.
Erin Chutich, one of the plaintiffs in the case, stated, "After I ordered from Papa John's, my telephone started beeping with text messages advertising pizza specials. Papa John's never asked permission to send me text message advertisements." Chutich added, "Hopefully, this will be an important victory for consumers. Our lawsuit is about keeping spam from spreading from our email to our cell phones."
Attorneys representing Papa John's customers agreed. Donald W. Heyrich, who represents consumers in spam text message lawsuits, stated, "Many customers complained to Papa John's that they wanted the text messages to stop, and yet thousands of spam text messages were sent week after week." Heyrich added, "This should be a wakeup call to advertisers. Consumers do not want spam on their cell phones. If you do not have permission from your customers, do not send them text messages. It's as simple as that."
Heyrich Kalish McGuigan PLLC represents consumers in class actions regarding spam text messages and illegal telemarketing. A copy of the court decision is published at www.telemarketingattorneys.com. For more information contact Donald W. Heyrich at (888) 593-5370.
Heyrich Kalish McGuigan PLLC
Donald W. Heyrich
SOURCE Heyrich Kalish McGuigan PLLC
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher