|By Marketwired .||
|November 12, 2012 06:00 PM EST||
SUNNYVALE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/12/12 -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced today it has been recognized as a leader in high performance computing (HPC), receiving two awards from HPCwire: a Readers' Choice Award for 'Best HPC Collaboration between Government and Industry' and an Editors' Choice Award for 'Top Five Vendors to Watch.' These awards further underscore AMD's leadership position in supercomputing with its AMD Opteron processor family and its recent addition of the high performance AMD Opteron 6300 Series processor.
AMD technology is used in many of the world's leading supercomputers, including the new Oak Ridge National Labs "Titan" supercomputer, the top ranked supercomputer in the world according to the recently released Top500 Supercomputer Sites list. AMD was also recently awarded $12.6 million by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) as a part of the Extreme-Scale Computing Research and Development Program. This program aims to enable exascale computing and advance simulation-based scientific discovery by performing up to one quintillion calculations per second -- roughly one thousand times faster than today's fastest available supercomputers.
"AMD is committed to high performance computing with our AMD Opteron processors, AMD FirePro graphics processors and ecosystem support," said John Gustafson, AMD's senior fellow and chief product architect, Graphics Business Unit. "We are honored to be selected by both the readers and editors of HPCwire for the work we've been doing to expand the boundaries of computational power. AMD has a long track record of powering high performance computing, and we are continuing to create supercomputing solutions that help solve difficult scientific challenges in many different fields."
HPCwire Readers' and Editors' Choice Awards are determined through online polling of the global HPCwire audience for the Readers' Choice Awards, combined with a rigorous selection process for the Editor's Choice Awards, where winners are selected by a panel of editorial and executive staff, recognized HPC luminaries and contributing editors from across the industry.
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its ground-breaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, FirePro, Opteron and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
AMD Public Relations
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London