|By PR Newswire||
|November 12, 2012 04:23 AM EST||
SLOUGH, England, November 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
The International Bureau for Epilepsy and biopharmaceutical company UCB today issued a final call for entries to the 2012 Excellence in Epilepsy Journalism Award. New entries will be accepted until the final deadline, Friday 30th November. To qualify, articles and broadcasts on epilepsy must be published between 30th October 2011 and 30th November 2012.
"The award, now in its fourth year, aims to raise awareness about epilepsy across the globe by recognising journalists who have excelled in reporting on this often misunderstood condition. By encouraging informative, original and responsible journalism, the award hopes to raise awareness and decrease stigma for the estimated 50 million people around the world living with epilepsy," said Mike Glynn, President of the IBE.
"Today, many people with epilepsy continue to face prejudice and ignorance. Thought-provoking, responsible and accurate journalism is important and the Excellence in Epilepsy Award is a way of recognising journalists who produce compelling stories which help everyone to understand the condition," commented Lode Dewulf, Vice President, Patient Affairs, UCB.
The award is open to all journalists, across four categories - print, online, broadcast TV and broadcast radio, with one winner to be selected from each group. Entries can either be entered by the author or via nomination by a third party. An independent panel of media experts and people with experience of epilepsy will judge submitted entries against set criteria to select winning entries. The panel includes:
- Mr Robert Cole, Epilepsy Association of South Australia and the Northern Territory, Australia
- Dr Carlos Acevedo, Secretary General of the International Bureau for Epilepsy and Editor, International Epilepsy News, Chile
- Mr Joachim Mueller-Jung, Editor and Journalist, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Germany
- Mr David Josephs, Epilepsy Advocate, UK
- Dr Mark Porter, GP & Medical Correspondent for The Times, UK
- Mr Randolph Siegel, President, Local Digital Strategy, Advance Publications, USA
- Mr Mike Glynn, President, IBE, Ireland
"I am pleased to once again be part of the panel judging the Excellence in Epilepsy Journalism Award," said Dr Mark Porter, "It's important that informative and responsible reporting is encouraged to support both awareness and understanding of epilepsy. Over the last three years I have been impressed by the calibre of entries and look forward to reviewing the 2012 entries."
For more information or to download an entry or nomination form, please visit http://www.ibe-epilepsy.org/announcing-the-excellence-in-journalism-awards-2012/
Notes to Editors
The four winners will receive travel vouchers and will be encouraged to use them to fund travel for future research or reporting on epilepsy.
To find out more information or to download an entry or nomination form, please visit: http://www.ibe-epilepsy.org/announcing-the-excellence-in-journalism-awards-2012/
Certain local restrictions may apply regarding this award and the award is only available where not prohibited or restricted by local laws and regulations.
- http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs999/en/ [accessed 8th October 2012]
About the IBE
Founded more than 50 years ago, the IBE is an organisation of laypersons and professionals interested in the medical and non-medical aspects of epilepsy. The IBE addresses such social problems as education, employment, insurance, driving licence restrictions and public awareness, and supports its members through a range of innovative and important initiatives aimed at improving the quality of life of people with epilepsy and their families. http://www.ibe-epilepsy.org
UCB, Brussels, Belgium is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the research, development and commercialization of innovative medicines with a focus on the fields of central nervous system and immunology disorders.
Forward looking statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements based on current plans, estimates and beliefs of management. Such statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to be materially different from those that may be implied by such forward-looking statements contained in this press release. Important factors that could result in such differences include: changes in general economic, business and competitive conditions, effects of future judicial decisions, changes in regulation, exchange rate fluctuations and hiring and retention of its employees.
October 2012: UK/12MIS0053b
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher