|By PR Newswire||
|November 12, 2012 01:00 AM EST||
OSLO, Norway, November 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Scientists predict this winter to be the best in 50 years to experience the Northern Lights. Are you dreaming of experiencing one of the planet's greatest natural shows? Then now is the time to head north.
Arctic Norway is the best place in the world to see the northern lights, according to the director of tourism in Norway, Per-Arne Tuftin. He promises a spectacular display this winter.
- Come to Norway this winter and you will witness nature's own gala performance, Tuftin says. Last year he declared war against his Scandinavian neighbours, claiming the northern lights as Norwegian.
-Norway is in the centre of the northern lights zone, so the probability of seeing the lights is very likely on any cloud-free night between October and March. Though the northern lights are visible in other countries, Northern Norway's easy accessibility and optimal conditions make it one of the best places on Earth to see them, Tuftin claims.
This year he launches a viral Northern Lights campaign in twelve countries. Here people can draw their own northern lights and share it with friends through Facebook and Twitter.
- We want to share the beauty of the Norwegian Northern Lights, Tuftin says.
Best display in 50 years
The strength of solar activity runs in 11-year cycles; and 2012 and 2013 happens to be a peak moment known as "Solar Maximum", with experts predicting plentiful and spectacular displays. Some scientist predicts that the solar activity in 2012/2013 will be the best since the historic Solar Max of 1958. So if you always wanted to see the northern lights, this is undoubtedly the time.
To see the celestial disco in its full glory, you will have to head north towards the Arctic, above latitude 60 degrees for the best sightings, even if it occasionally can be seen further south.
The best time to see the northern lights are between October and March after dark.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher