|By Marketwired .||
|November 9, 2012 04:00 AM EST||
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 11/09/12 -- Over the past few months, solar activity has been building and the recent autumnal equinox heralded the start of the season for the Aurora Borealis, more commonly known as the Northern Lights. This year marks the peak of its 11-year cycle, meaning that an even more stunning show is expected.
For centuries, the Northern Lights have astounded the human race. In ancient Rome the light show was believed to be a sign of the goddess of dawn; while the Chinese thought it was the breath of dragons. Whichever legend you like the sound of, or even if your interest is purely astronomical, the moving, glowing rainbow of coloured lights never ceases to amaze.
One of the factors that has increased interest in the Aurora is recent sightings across northern parts of the UK. Even in the Midlands on particularly clear nights it has been possible to catch a glimpse of the phenomenon, and this has inspired more Brits than usual to head north to get a better look.
A night underneath the stars and lights is high on the list for couples seeking a romantic getaway, but these days families are getting in on the act too. For parents, a Northern Lights holiday offers an added draw: the chance to take the kids to see Santa on the same trip.
The Arctic Circle is the place where Christmas dreams can come true - whether that means seeing the Northern Lights or personally delivering the kids' wishlist to Santa - and Lapland is the ideal destination for an extra special winter holiday. There's a huge choice of activities to enjoy, so whether you want to spend the days on the ski slopes, strolling through magical pine forests or heading out into the wilderness on a reindeer safari, Lapland has it all.
Plus, with a fantastic range of affordable package deals to Lapland available from Cosmos online, booking your next magical winter getaway is quick and easy. If you want to witness the Northern Lights in all their glory, 2012 is certainly the year to do so.
For trips to see Santa at home, Cosmos' Lapland holidays are the perfect family getaway. With cheap holiday bargains to the Northern Lights and beyond, Cosmos has a range of packages to suit all holidaymakers and budgets.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London