|By Marketwired .||
|November 7, 2012 08:00 PM EST||
MONTREAL, QUEBEC -- (Marketwire) -- 11/08/12 -- The Minister of National Defence, the Honourable Peter MacKay, delivered remarks today at the "Brillants Exploits" event hosted by the Canada Company in Montreal, Quebec. This event raises funds in support of Canada Company initiatives, including an upcoming Canadian mission to Sicily, Italy, in July 2013, to mark the 70th anniversary of Operation Husky.
"We owe a great deal of gratitude to the men and women who have donned the uniform of the Canadian Forces, today and in the past," said Minister MacKay. "During this week of remembrance, we have a responsibility to make sure that their stories of courage and perseverance are never forgotten."
On July 10, 1943, Canadian soldiers landed at Pachino, Sicily, marking the beginning of the Sicilian Campaign. While little known, Operation HUSKY was the first step in what became the successful Allied campaign to liberate all of Italy. Fighting with courage and determination, Canadian soldiers overcame the German defenders facing them in Sicily, but their success came at a cost as 562 were killed and another 2310 were wounded.
Canada Company is a charitable, non-partisan organization that serves to build the bridge between business and community leaders and the Canadian Military.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher