|By PR Newswire||
|November 7, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Nov. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 7: USS NEW YORK
Profile America — Wednesday, November 7th. The Navy's newest amphibious assault ship, the USS New York, was commissioned three years ago today. Some 6,000 spectators turned out for the ceremony held at the retired aircraft carrier USS Intrepid, now the Sea, Air-and Space Museum in New York Harbor. The New York is special in that 7½ tons of steel in its bow came from beams salvaged from the wrecked World Trade Center. The New York can carry a landing force of 800 Marines, along with needed aircraft and landing equipment. The ship's crew numbers 360. Most recent figures show U.S. shipbuilders delivered $21.8 billion worth of new ships and repairs in a year. You can find more facts about America's people, places and economy from the American Community Survey at www.census.gov.
Sources: Chase's Calendar of Events 2012, p. 540
U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Annual Survey of Manufactures
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at <http://www.census.gov> (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher