|By PR Newswire||
|November 5, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Nov. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 5: FIRST U.S. ANTIBIOTIC
Profile America — Monday, November 5th. This year's Nobel prizes were announced last month, and the award ceremonies will be held in Stockholm, Sweden and Oslo, Norway next month. In 1952, the prize for medicine was awarded for the discovery of the first antibiotic produced in the U.S. — streptomycin. The breakthrough medicine was developed by a Ukrainian immigrant, Dr. Selman Waksman, and four of his students at Rutgers University in New Jersey in 1944. It went into production later that year and proved to be the first antibiotic treatment for tuberculosis. Making antibiotics is now an $11.3 billion a year business. You can find current data on the country's economy — on the go — by downloading the new "America's Economy" mobile application at <www.census.gov/mobile>.
Kane's Famous First Facts, 4998
2007 Economic Census, NAICS 325411
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at <http://www.census.gov> (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks