|By PR Newswire||
|November 4, 2012 08:00 AM EST||
VIMY, France, Nov. 4, 2012 /CNW/ - Many Canadian and French citizens gathered today at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial, in France, to pay tribute to the men and women who served their countries from the First World War to current missions.
The Government of Canada representative, Mr. Kim Butler, Plenipotentiary Minister, Canadian Embassy, Paris, addressed the gathering on behalf of the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs. He was joined by the French Republic representative, Mr. Pierre Clavreuil, sous-préfet of Lens.
"During Veterans' Week, we pay tribute to all Canadian Veterans and we continue to recognize the sacrifices and achievements of the men and women in uniform who serve Canada," said Minister Blaney. "We remember significant milestones of the First World War that are part of our proud military heritage: Passchendaele, the Battle of the Somme and the Battle of Vimy Ridge. Throughout these battles, regiments from across the country saw action together and helped create a new and stronger sense of Canadian identity."
"Vimy Ridge will forever hold an important place in the history of Canada and in the hearts and minds of Canadians. Canada, as a young nation, fought and triumphed over adversity," said Minister Blaney. "Today, we mark the heroic efforts of those who fought for freedom on Vimy Ridge. We pay tribute to our proud history and we honour those who continue to serve Canada."
Veterans' Week is a time when all Canadians come together to honour those who have sacrificed so much to make our world a safer place. This Veterans' Week, take time to remember by attending a Remembrance Day ceremony, visiting a local cenotaph or monument, sharing your thoughts of remembrance online, or wearing a poppy with pride. For more information about the Canadian "Take time to remember" campaign, visit veterans.gc.ca.
SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks