|By PR Newswire||
|November 3, 2012 11:45 PM EDT||
VANCOUVER, Nov. 3, 2012 /CNW/ - On behalf of the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs, Andrew Saxton, Parliamentary Secretary to the President of the Treasury Board and for Western Economic Diversification and Member of Parliament for North Vancouver, today marched in the BC Lions Tribute to Veterans and Canadian Armed Forces Members half-time show.
"Today we remember, reflect and pay tribute to all Canadian Veterans and to those who continue to serve our country in Afghanistan and other areas of conflict," said Minister Blaney. "Our Government is pleased to partner with the Royal Canadian Legion British Columbia/Yukon Command and the CFL, and we applaud them for their continued efforts to keep the memory of Canada's Veterans alive in the hearts of Canadians."
Approximately 1,000 people (Veterans, men and women in uniform, cadets and massed pipe and drum bands) were joined by PS Saxton to march on the field at half-time for a musical performance in salute to Veterans and CF personnel. The show culminated with cadets unfolding a giant Canadian flag.
"Our Government is proud to honour these brave Canadians who have upheld and continue to uphold our shared values of peace, freedom and democracy," said PS Saxton. "Partnerships such as this play a vital role in ensuring the stories and sacrifices of Canada's Veterans live on for generations to come."
Veterans Affairs Canada, through the Canada Remembers program, endeavours to keep alive the achievements and sacrifices made by those who served Canada in times of war, armed conflict and peace, and to promote an understanding of the significance of these efforts in Canadian life.
This Veterans' Week, take time to remember by attending a Remembrance Day ceremony, visiting a local cenotaph or monument, sharing your thoughts of remembrance online, or wearing a poppy with pride. Learn more and find remembrance events and activities in your area at veterans.gc.ca.
SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?