|By PR Newswire||
|November 3, 2012 02:21 PM EDT||
HARRISBURG, Pa., Nov. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Department of Environmental Protection announced today that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has given authorization to grant two kinds of temporary fuel waivers due to fuel shortages from Hurricane Sandy.
DEP requested on Friday that EPA waive the federal requirements on the use of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel in mobile non-road generators and pumps as well as the requirements for diesel-powered highway and other equipment needed for emergency response and disaster recovery.
"Because of the widespread effects of Hurricane Sandy, there is an insufficient amount of this fuel in Pennsylvania," DEP Secretary Mike Krancer said. "These waivers are necessary to avoid fuel disruptions and continue everyone's ongoing storm recovery efforts."
The waivers allow, with DEP approval, the use of heating oil in diesel-powered, on-road vehicles involved in emergency response efforts in Pennsylvania. The waivers also allow the use of heating oil supplies for generators and other off-road equipment. DEP approval is not required for that use.
The waivers, which expire on Nov. 13, will place restrictions so that the home heating fuel is only used to operate equipment that is compatible with the sulfur levels of heating oil.
The Department of Agriculture on Friday granted a waiver for a temporary suspension of Pennsylvania's two-percent biodiesel content requirement for on-road diesel fuel. The suspension will be in effect until midnight on Thursday, Nov.12.
The on-road waivers do not apply to the general public on public highways.
To request the diesel-powered, on-road vehicle waiver, email DEP's Office of Pollution Prevention and Energy Assistance at RAemail@example.com. To view DEP's request letter and the waiver from EPA, visit www.dep.state.pa.us and click on the "Responding to Hurricane Sandy" button.
Katy Gresh, DEP, 412-298-7538 (mobile)
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks